Lecture Pod 1: Introduction to Interactive Design, covers the basics around what interaction and interactive design is from a broad spectrum.To sum this procedure, it is based on 3 stages, Bill Verplank clarifies this throughout an interview that iconic pioneer of interaction design work is where the interaction designer needs to answer three questions, about how people act, how they feel, and how they understand. This also leads to knowing where an interactive designer sits, in terms of that spectrum of design, its roles and processes.
Clement Mok, expresses his thoughts in saying that its useful in portraying the interactive design that is relative to the other rules via this diagram. This can be seen in the image below. It doesn’t happen as it is without options such as information design, architecture, graphic or interface to clearly indicate the more focused aspects of the profession. Idealistically there are disciplines and practices that certainly contribute to interactive design, enclosing the task in a way so that the contributes all have different approaches.
Furthermore, interactivity is taken from the adjective word interactive, which comes in various meanings. As for ‘What is Interaction Design’, it can be answered in several ways as there are a numerous ways of interaction that happens, throughout our day to day lives as each of them shows different levels of engagement and reactions. According to Sharp, Rodgers and Preece (2002) they state that “interactive design refers to designing interactive products to support people in their everyday and working lives”. It is a phrase that reflects to a specific program that responds to user activity capable of acting or influencing each other.
Gillian Crampton Smith, answers the same question by defining it as “shaping our everyday life through digital artefact for work and for play and for our entertainment”. Smith, also mentions that it requires a mixture and not just have visual and sound but a combination of things that occurs eventually and therefore attracts existing disciplines in making a new form of design, which is therefore interaction design.
Lastly, there are five key designs areas within interaction design contributing to the design of interactive products, such as interactivity, information architecture, time and motion as well as interface.
The concept of experience design, is a primary way of thinking of interactivity that consists of data, information, knowledge and wisdom within producers, consumers, experience, stimulus and understanding. This image can be in the image below.
- Auger, V.(2014, January 8). Bill Verplank Designing Interactions [Video file]. Retrieved February 21, 2017, from https://vimeo.com/83683447.
- Interaction design interdisciplinary fields, [Image] (n.d). Retrieved February 24, 2017, https://kyrusmcreative.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/interaction-design-interactivity-design/.
- Smith, G.(2017, n.d). Design interactions [Video file]. Retrieved February 21, 2017, from http://www.designinginteractions.com/interviews/GillianCramptonSmith.
- The various hats an interaction designer wears, [Image] (2012, March 12). Retrieved February 24, 2017, from https://harnn.wordpress.com.
- Waterson, S.(2016, January). Introduction to interactive design [Video file]. Retrieved February 21, 2017, from https://vimeo.com/176274669.
- Unified field theory of design, [Image] (2001). Retrieved February 24, 2017, from http://nathan.com/thoughts/.